Morgan Stanley launches factor-based US Sicav

Added 5th July 2016

Morgan Stanley Investment Management, the asset management arm of Morgan Stanley, has launched a factor-based US fund providing European investors access to its applied equity advisers team for the first time.

Morgan Stanley launches factor-based US Sicav

The Morgan Stanley Investment Funds US Active Factor Equity Fund attempts to outperform the benchmark by combining factor modelling and bottom up stock selection.

“The team’s framework seeks to capture 70% of the market’s returns using factor-based investing, with a dynamic stock selection overlay to drive high active share investing for the other 30%,” the firm said, in this way, it aims to outperform irrespective of whether value or growth stocks hold sway.

The fund’s allocation is typically 100% US equities with the flexibility to invest up to 20% in non-US stocks, the firm said.

The fund is managed by Andrew Slimmon and Phillip Kim, both of whom are based in Chicago and form a key part of the applied equity advisors team, which was established in 2004 and had as at 31 March 2016, $5.1bn (£3.8bn, €4.6bn) in assets under management.

A Luxembourg-registered Sicav, the firm said it is still awaiting registration in various markets. It added that it is also planning a global version of the fund tabled for release at the end of the month.

Visitor's Comments Add your comment

Add Your Comment

We won't publish your address

About Author

Geoff Candy

Group digital editor

Geoff Candy joined Portfolio Adviser as News Editor in May 2014. He has been a financial journalist and broadcaster since 2005 and, in that time has worked in both South Africa and the Netherlands, covering everything from high street retailers and construction companies to mining and insurance.


The turning tide of global equities

The turning tide of global equities

Despite a gloomy beginning to the year, global equities have started to outshine the backdrop of economic malaise that threatened their upward trajectory, with the index delivering 19.2%


Ashburton International
Ashburton International

Ashburton Investments is a new generation investment...



Offshore Bond Workshop Glasgow 2016
Offshore Bond Workshop Glasgow 2016

22nd November 2016
The Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow

Future Advisory Forum Dubai 2016
Future Advisory Forum Dubai 2016

23rd November 2016
Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai 

Sponsored Content

Investment Strategy